Thursday, July 10, 2008

Making Herbal Extracts

It's Thursday, so it's time for another personal blog entry that's a change of pace from IT.

Every year in August, when I climb in Yosemite, I stay in an isolated riperian wilderness on the eastern escarpment of the Sierra, called Lundy Canyon.

At 7808 feet, the area around Lundy varies from a Sagebrush steppe to a sub-alpine zone. Sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata) and White Sage (Salvia Apiana) have been used by Native Americans in the area for centuries as ceremonial smudge sticks and for "space clearing" - freshening their homes, their belongings and their bodies.

Taking a lead from their experience, I gather a few pounds of sagebrush every year, then make my own toiletries and scent diffusers for my home from the dried herb.

Here's how I do it.

First, I gather the sagebrush and dry it in the sun for transport home.

To make an herbal extract for aftershave/cologne, I remove the sagebrush florets from the stalks and place them in an 8 ounce Nalgene polyethylene container. I fill the container approximately one third full with sagebrush and then add 6 ounces of 100 proof Absolut Vodka, although any strong grain alcohol will work.

I completely cover the herbal material with alcohol. If you are using dried herbs you should add more alcohol over the next day or two as the dried herbs absorb and expand. A good ratio for dried material is about 1 part herb to 5 parts alcohol and with fresh material 1 part herb to 3 parts alcohol.

I close the lid tightly, shake well and place the mixture in a dark place for 4 weeks, shaking it again every few days.

The alcohol extracts the active constituents from the herbs. After 4 weeks, I strain the herbs in a sieve, lined with cheesecloth. I then pour the liquid into another Nalgene container and tightly squeeze the cheesecloth to extract the remaining liquid, since the saturated herbal material has the strongest concentration of active constituents. For aftershave/cologne I poor the liquid into 2 ounce spray bottles, which I use at home and on the road after a workout such as climbing or kayaking. The alcohol cools the skin and the sagebrush refreshes the body.

For my home, I make reed diffusers in much the same way. A natural reed contains 20 capillaries that can absorb liquid and slowly disperse the fragrance.

Instead of grain alcohol, I use a diffuser oil and place the sagebrush saturated oil in small glass bottles filled with reeds. I get a subtle "space clearing" effect in my home without using chemical or electrical air fresheners.

Other plant material such as cedar chips, juniper berries or bay leaves make great herbal extracts. Just as wearing black is my signature clothing, sagebrush is my signature scent. I hope you enjoy finding your own.

2 comments:

Indriyati said...

great information ^_^



------------------------------------------------------
about-health-information
how-to-do-all-things
profile
bux.to

Anonymous said...

The best aftershave for men

I know that you want to look your best, and if you are thinking into adding something different to your looks, and aftershave for men is a good pace to start, a good aftershave for men is a cologne that will serve many different purposes, and that is precisely why you need to take such a care when deciding what to look for. Since there are so many options out there, I recommend that you do not let yourself be guided by prices, I suggest that you instead look for those things that will give you benefits instead of debts, so what I am trying to say here is that you most look around, find those products that you think that have the best solutions to what you think your skin needs and then try them.

Of course, this method of selection gets really carried away when what you want is to also smell good, in other words, you are going to be getting a product that will provide you incredible benefits and good stuff, you are also going to be getting the one that has your smell, so make sure that you do find that product and start using the best product that is going to help you have better skin, which will have a great and smooth feel to it, also, your skin will be protected from getting any infections and a very important thing, these aftershave for men products will also avoid that you get those nasty looking rashes that appear after having had shaved, those rashes can really ruin your look, but it is not something to worry about when you use a good aftershave for men, this is the difference that is going to make you look much more than just great, this is the final touch that will make you irresistible to any women, this aftershave for men, and of course a little smooth on your own would not be bad either. http://www.bestaftershaveformen.com